Second Grade Science Frameworks
ESS2. Earth’s Systems
2-ESS2-1: Investigate and compare the effectiveness of multiple solutions designed to slow or prevent wind or water from changing the shape of the land.
- Solutions to be compared could include different designs of dikes and windbreaks to hold back wind and water, and different designs for using shrubs, grass, and trees to hold back the land.
- Solutions can be generated or provided.
2-ESS2-2: Map the shapes and types of landforms and bodies of water in an area.
- Examples of types of landforms can include hills, valleys, river banks, and dunes.
- Examples of water bodies can include streams, ponds, bays, and rivers.
- Quantitative scaling in models or contour mapping is not expected.
2-ESS2-4(MA): Observe how blowing wind and flowing water can move Earth materials from one place to another and change the shape of a landform.
- Examples of types of landforms can include hills, valleys, riverbanks, and dunes.
LS2. Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics
2-LS2-3(MA): Develop and use models to compare how plants and animals depend on their surroundings and other living things to meet their needs in the places they live.
- Animals need food, water, air, shelter, and favorable temperature; plants need sufficient light, water, minerals, favorable temperature, and animals or other mechanisms to disperse seeds.