• Arrival is anytime Friday evening from 5pm-6pm; classes start at 6 pm.
• Participants will be given a bunk inside a Hidden Valley cabin (might be a shared cabin).
• Meals included are Friday dinner, Saturday breakfast & lunch, and snacks.
• Casual attire (i.e.: Scout folks do not need to wear uniforms). Dress for outside & inside.
• Cost is: $150 (those registered in Scouting), $175 (those not registered in Scouting)
• Participants must be able to physically complete all scenarios/rescues to pass the course.
• Boy Scouts aged 14+
• Co-Ed Venturers and/or Explorers
• Scouters (adults aged 18+)
• Non-Scouts / Scouters aged 14-plus
• This course is highly recommended (or required, in some cases) for leaders of trips/treks which will be at least one hour from medical support/assistance.
(NOTE: Groups attending National High Adventure Base Treks are required to have at least two members of that Trek currently qualified in Wilderness First Aid.)
This SOLO© Wilderness First Aid course is a blended experience of classroom and hands-on learning. Participants will spend roughly 50% of student time rotating as a mock rescue and mock patient in realistic caregiving scenarios, making the most of the learning-by-doing, and forming muscle memory. Participants who successfully complete the course receive a 2-year certification from SOLO (the longest operating wilderness medicine school in the world).
• Patient assessment system (through patient examination, treatment monitoring, safety & documentation)
• Orthopedic Injuries and Treatment (Sprains, Strains, Fractures and Spinal Cord Management)
• Circulatory System Form & Function (Heart, Blood, Blood Vessels, Lungs & Brain)
• Soft Tissue Injuries & Wound Treatment (Contusions, Abrasions, Lacerations, Flap Avulsions, Amputation, Punctures, Impalements, Bites, Stings, Blisters, Burns, and Infections)
• Environmental Injuries & Treatment (Cold, Heat, Dehydration Day Pack (containing the materials needed for a typical day hike)
• Sleeping Pad (needed for some scenarios)
• Water Bottle
• Rain Gear
• Layers of Clothing
• Bug Repellent
• Notebook and Pen
• Great attitude and willingness to learn and contribute